Abbottabad Public School is located at an altitude of about 4500 feet. The verdant hills around makes it look like a piece of paradise. Climatically it is ideal for a residential educational institution. Winter is a bit harsh but otherwise the weather is pleasant and mild.This heavenly piece of land was initially chosen by Pakistan Railways in 1956 to establish a Model School which was named as “Pakistan Railway Public School, Abbottabad”. The then Central Minister for Pakistan Railways Khan Sardar Bahadur Khan was the founder of the School, and Mr. M.A. Rehman was the founder Principal.A commission on National Education, which was formulated in December 1958, presented its report in August 1959 stressing the importance of establishing residential schools throughout the country. The commission recommended immediate establishment of two such schools, one in West Pakistan and one in East Pakistan to serve the cause of NATIONAL INTEGRATION. Railway Public School could not function properly and had to be disbanded ultimately in 1959. The closure of the school put Khan Sardar Bahadur Khan and Mr. M.A. Rehman in deep anguish. They along with Mr. S.M. Sharif, the then Central Education Secretary, prevailed upon the President Field Marshal Muhammad Ayub Khan, to re-start the School.In order to implement the recommendations of the Commission, the Ministry of Education established a residential Public School, the first of its kind in West Pakistan at Abbottabad. It was a real good effort to re-start the School under the auspices of the President calling for revival of the School but with different nomenclature as “Abbottabad Public School”. The School thus started functioning in April 1961 under the control and able guidance of the founder Principal, M.A. Rehman. With the passage of time, it attracted students from abroad like South Africa, Middle East and Far East. In the years to come, the School made tremendous progress and earned a great reputation, and was soon on a par with other sister institutions imparting quality education.The first Board of Governors was constituted in 1961 by the Central Government. In 1962/63, the Central Government transferred the Education to One Unit and therefore the administrative control of the Institution was transferred to autonomous BoG, constituted by the provincial Govt. (One-Unit i.e; West Pakistan). On the dismemberment of One Unit, the institution was transferred to the Government of N.W.F.P under Section 8(e) of the North West Frontier Province, Government Education and Training Institutions Ordinance 1971. In 1986, General Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq, the President of Pakistanre-named this institution as “Abbottabad Public School & College”. Later on, Board of Governors, in its meeting on July 20, 2002, decided to delete the words “and College” and revived its original name “Abbottabad Public School”. Abbottabad Public School has been contributing profusely towards the promotion of education. It has proved to be a good nursery for the Armed Forces, Civil Services and Professional Institutions. Students of APS are playing leading roles in other walks of national life as well. The name of Prime Minister Mr. Shaukat Aziz leads the rest.